School of Design Technical Facilities: Covid19 Arrangements
Updated 14 May
The computers in Stockwell Street studios are no longer pre-book only
Stockwell Street Building 11 is now available to students Monday – Friday; 9.00AM to 7.00PM.
Note these measures relate specifically to the School’s studios / computing / workshop and photography spaces; they are also subject to the University’s broader guidance which can be found here
The Stockwell Street library will also be open
- Open access PCs in studio: a restricted number of machines are available for use in studios. Those machines taped off for social distancing reasons are available to access remotely
- Remote access PCS: we have also enabled direct connection to our workstations to allow direct access to their software and processing power from your home machine.
Instructions for Connecting from home
- Click and collect plotting: send plots from home for collection from the plot area when you arrive.
Instructions for remote plotting.
- Laptops: there is currently no laptop loan service
- Studio spaces are open for Design School students, however you must continue to observe sensible social distancing measures – use chairs provided at individual tables; don’t drag them into a cluster.
- You must not leave portfolios / models in studios; please bring and take away only what you need for your timetabled session.
- Studio tables should not be moved from their designated locations.
- We have a mini photography studio setup available in the first-floor studios
- The basement photography studio remains available unless specific arrangements have been made and approved – for single users only.
- The workshop will be operating Monday / Tuesday / Thursday / Friday at a reduced capacity with a limited number of spaces each day
- Wear a face covering at all times and the provided safety goggles when needed. FFP3 mask to still be worn when using certain machines or chemicals
- Laser cutting / CNC milling / 3d printing files may be submitted via email for processing by staff and collected by arrangement
- One-way entrance and exit routes will be implemented
We are also publishing guides and information to help students carry out valuable home studio tasks such as 3d scanning, photography techniques, model making and process specific resources. If there are particular areas / techniques you would like to see covered then please let us know at
Please be aware that as this is a changing situation the specifics of these arrangements may also need to change.