Room 11.0013, The Workshop, is available to all students and staff within the School of Design, and is a space where you can sculpt, machine and digitally fabricate your ideas
- Samuel Sheard
- Extension 9133
- Mail enquiries to Faculty Design Support Team
Workshop term-time opening hours
- Monday: 14.00 – 16.30
- Tuesday – Friday: 09.30 – 16.30
Power for the woodworking machines is switched off during lunch 13.00 – 14.00
Opening hours are set to extend once a new full-time staff member has been appointed. Likely mid Oct2021
Everybody that uses the workshop must first take part in the online Workshop Health & Safety induction.
Upon completion of the online induction you are able to access the workshop, the assembly area to make models, use hand tools, machines marked with green and orange risk labels, plus book time on the Laser cutters, 3D printers and the CNC machine.
Always consult a staff member when you first use the space and any of the machines.
When in the workshop you must always follow the Workshop Safety Policies defined in the online H&S induction – DO NOT use the space until you have handed your signed Code of Practice and Health and safety statement to a Workshop staff member – this is found at the end of the online induction.
Click here to read the full Workshop Code of Practice
Click here to read the induction process
When on duty the Workshop/Staff Assistants are available to provide the following support.
- Laser cutting: Inductions, support and payment advice
- CNC: Programming 2D cutting and processing 3D files that have been programmed by a full-time staff member
- 3DP: Uploading programmed files to the specified printer and post processing
- Operation advice and support for Green & Orange rated analogue woodworking machines – a full-time staff member must be present in the space when Orange rated machines are being used
- General model making advice
Please send us an email if you are interested in working in the workshop – this is a paid position – positions tend to be available between Sep – June
We are always looking to expanding our portfolio of resources to support your interests, and we welcomes your ideas into how we could develop the workshop further.