- Cordless Drill/Driver
- Workshop Category: W2
- Workshop Risk Category: Green Label
Suitable for Perspex/acrylic, wood, some metals, according to type of drill bit. The cordless drill has an adjustable chuck that accepts bits or cutters. It is powered by a rechargable battery. To avoid accidents, the following operational safety rules must be observed by everyone working
on the cordless drill.
Start with a Risk Assessment to ensure a safe work area:
- Safety glasses should be worn.
- Remove loose fitting clothing, jewellery, and tie back long hair.
- Give the work your undivided attention.
- Do not wear gloves or anything that would allow a hand, fingers or clothing to be wrapped around the revolving bit.
- To obtain a drill speak to the workshop manager or one of the student helpers.
Operational Safety Rules:
- Without any drill bit attached, make sure the drill is charged and working. If the battery runs out, charge it using the charger provided.
- The drill battery is charged once the light on the charging panel turns green.
- When inserting a drill bit make sure is properly tighten up.
- Make sure the direction is spinning is according to what you want to do (drilling holes, screwing in or screwing out screws).
- Use the recommended speed for the material you are drilling.
- In case of screwdriver bits, make sure the screw head fits the screwdriver bit.
- When drilling holes secure the material with clamps and don’t drill into the table or clamp (use an additional layer of waste material if necessary).
- If the screwdriver bit keeps “skipping” while screwing in screws, replace the screw and the screwdriverbit if necessary.
- Pre-drilled holes for screws should be smaller than the screw itself. Always measure your drill bits before doing your job.
- In case of deeper holes, drill in and out repeatedly to remove the wood dust from the drill bit.
- Don’t touch the drill bit and shavings since they are hot immediately after drilling. Wait until theyhave cooled down.
- Once you finish with the drill return it to one of the staff.