School of Design Technical Facilities: Covid19 Arrangements
Updated 09 November 2020
In response to the ongoing pandemic situation we have implemented measures that enable students to utilise the School’s specialist technical resources in a safe, managed way.
Note these measures relate specifically to the School’s studios / computing / workshop and photography spaces; they will also be subject to the University’s broader guidance which can be found here
You can expect an emphasis on pre-booking, greater remote access and some “click and collect” style operation when interacting with our technical facilities.
The S11 building will be open Monday – Friday 8.30AM – 7.00PM for access by students with timetabled taught activities or pre-booked session only.
- Open access PCs in studio: a limited number of machines will be available for pre-booking only. AM / PM sessions, no “walk-ups”.
Instructions for Pre-Booking here
- Remote access PCS: we have enabled direct connection to our workstations to allow direct access to their software and processing power from your home machine.
Instructions for Connecting from home
- Click and collect plotting: send plots from home for collection from a Uni pickup point (note: the instruction is still for you to present and submit digitally).
Note: this is rolling out gradually – currently access for BA & HND Graphics Students / BA & MA Landscape Architecture]
Instructions for remote plotting.
- Laptops: there will be no laptop loaning service
- All studio spaces will be for timetabled classes only – unfortunately you will NOT be able to visit and work in studios unless part of a timetabled session.
- You must not leave portfolios / models in studios; please bring and take away only what you need for your timetabled session.
- Studio tables MUST NOT BE MOVED from their designated locations; seating must also be at the points at tables indicated.
- Entrance to taught sessions will be managed so you will filter in gradually and fill up spaces from the back, etc.
- We will have a photography studio setup available in the first-floor studios – for pre-booking only
- The basement photography studio will be not be available unless specific arrangements have been made and approved – for single users only.
- Access to the bench area and woodworking machines by pre-booking online, no “walk-ups”. The workshop will be operating Tuesday – Friday at a reduced capacity with a limited number of spaces each day
- Wear a face covering at all times and the provided safety goggles when needed. FFP3 mask to still be worn when using certain machines or chemicals
- Laser cutting / CNC milling / 3d printing files submitted via email, these will be processed by staff and collected from a collection point at a specified time
- One-way entrance and exit routes will be implemented
We are also publishing guides and information to help students carry out valuable home studio tasks such as 3d scanning, photography techniques, model making and process specific resources.
Please be aware that as this is a changing situation the specifics of these arrangements may also need to change.