Landscape Living Wall: S11 Building First Floor Studios
Stockwell Street has a “Very Large Internal Living Wall “ in the studios; installed on June 12 2016. It was donated and installed by NEMEC Cascade Garden, a company from the Czech Republic and is used for research and teaching purposes.
It is well documented that indoor plants improve air quality and the well-being of people especially in the work place. The living wall enables testing of a variety of plants for suitability, and their effects on air quality and noise – as well as people’s attitudes to living walls.
The planting design was done by Shelley Mosco (an A&L staff member who has designed numerous living walls across the UK and internationally) and many landscape and architecture students helped with the installation.
A visit to the wall is included in the monthly tour of the Stockwell Street roofs by Benz Kotzen.
- Size: 20m2 (4 metres tall x 5 metres wide.)
- System Type: Modular, regular horticultural compost with added vermiculite.
- Irrigation: Automatic top up system. Approximate daily water usage 0.1 litre / per square meter, thus 2 litres per day
- Lighting: Horticultural halogen / red & blue spectrum.
- Plants: There are approximately 700 plants; 17 different plant species.
|Scientific Name||Common Name|
|*Aglaonema ‘Butterfly’||Chinese evergreen ‘Butterfly’|
|Alocasia ‘Polly’||Elephant’s ear / African mask|
|*Anthurium andraeanum ‘Almera Rood’||Flamingo flower|
|Asplenium nidus||Bird’s nest fern|
|*Chamaedorea elegans||Dwarf mountain palm|
|*Chlorophytum capense ‘Green’||Spider plant|
|Cissus alata ‘Ellen Danica’||Grape ivy ‘Ellen Danica’|
|Coffea arabica||Arabica coffee|
|Maranta leuconeura var erythroneura||Prayer plant|
|Peperomia caperata ‘Rosso’||Radiator plant ‘Rosso’|
|Peperomia rotundifolia var. rotundifolia||Creeping buttons|
|*Philodendron scandens||Heartleaf philodendron|
|Polystichum tsussimense||Korean rock fern|
|*Spathiphyllum ‘Alana’||Peace lily|
|Stromanthe ‘Horticolor’||Prayer plant ‘Horticolor’|
|Tradescantia zebrina||Silver inch plant|
|Zamioculcas zamiifolia||ZZ plant|
* Plants which remove significant amounts of toxins from the air, such as benzene, formaldehyde, trichloroethylene, xylene, toluene and ammonia.