The Faculty runs several Unix and Linux-based servers that students may use during the course of their studies. You can find information on how to use the Unix systems by visiting the links below.
Unix services are only available to students studying the School of Computing and Mathematical Sciences who study at the Greenwich Campus.
Unix servers available
The following Unix servers are available for student use:
- student.cms.gre.ac.uk – a server built on the Ubuntu distribution of Linux.
- stuweb.cms.gre.ac.uk – an Apache web server that students can use to run PHP
- stu-ftp.cms.gre.ac.uk – a server for transferring your files to your Unix home area using SFTP (Secure File Transfer Protocol).
How do I?
- Use the Putty SSH client to access student.cms.gre.ac.uk
- Access my Unix home area from Windows
- Get help with Unix commands
- Use the stuweb.cms.gre.ac.uk Apache web server
- Use Eduroam wireless network with Ubuntu
Help and support
The lab support staff at the support counter in KW116 should be able to with any general issues such as logging into Unix, accessing your U: drive etc, however please email FLAS_Systems@gre.ac.uk for any Unix or Linux queries or problems.