Hello from Gabriel Aning! Green Impact Green Ambassador

Gabriel

Hey guys! I guess you can never be too late to blog :D! I’m Gabriel, one of the three Green Impact Green Ambassadors. I am a final year Civil Engineering student. Often when I tell people what I study, some of the responses are “WOW!” or “erm, what’s that?”. So I think it’s only fair that I give a brief explanation. According to the Institution of Civil Engineer’s website (ICE) “Civil engineering is all about people. It’s the work that civil engineers do to develop and improve the services and facilities we, the public, all use.”

Civil engineering is relied upon every day for a variety of things: from supplying energy and clean water to our homes, to processing and recycling our waste, to finding solutions to problems like pollution, construction of buildings, bridges, dams, flood defences etc etc. Basically anything that is designed and built a civil engineer has been behind it. (Maybe this wasn’t brief LOL)

Over the period of my studies a passion for the world to have a sustainable future for our water & environment resources grew. Having clean, potable water and sufficient sanitation are vital necessities for a decent standard of living. I know that here in UK that is not a problem but elsewhere in developing countries it is. Therefore, I hope to be a part of creating sustainable water & environment resources worldwide in the future.

So that’s why I’m Green Ambassador! During the time I’ve been a Green Ambassador my understanding and knowledge of sustainability has definitely increased but still there is a long way to go. Learning from my colleagues and various training we have all completed has played a massive contribution. As a Green Ambassador we are working on a unique programme called Green Impact Enterprise which is an environmental awards accreditation scheme run by the university’s student union supported by the National Union of Students (NUS). Currently, we are attempting to promote Greenwich as a centre of sustainable tourism. As a Green Ambassador for this particular programme we offer businesses support and guidance, to achieve recognised Green Impact accreditation for their environmental efforts. It involves a lot of meetings with businesses and organisations which has given me experience I’ve never had before.

I hope to be blogging about the progress we’ve made very soon!

Thanks

Gabriel

Bookmark the permalink.