An expanded experience of the cinematic, locating historical and contemporary artists’ work alongside the work of Jim Hobbs and Andrew Hill.
(I)MAGESOUND(S) is a project that embraces an expanded experience of the cinematic, locating historical and contemporary artists’ work alongside the work of Jim Hobbs and Andrew Hill. The concept for the programme was originally born out of a research project/commission by Mono No Aware and The New York Public Library (NYPL) for the Performing Arts, as part of the annual Cinema Arts festival MONO X.
Working with the NYPL for Performing Arts film archive, contemporary individual artists, musicians and film distributors, the original project created a programme that brought together a variety of approaches to cinema, ranging from single screen films to more performative and expansive works. Its intention was to celebrate the relationship between image and sound, and emphasise the collaborative and generative possibilities between artists of different disciplines.
For the 2019 tour, Hobbs and Hill invited additional musicians/artists from each city where the project was performed. For the Leeds event, artist and University Academic Fellow Sam Belinfante joined to offer additional sonic elements throughout the evening.
- 1 December 2016 – New York Public Library for the Performing Arts, 40 Lincoln Center Plaza, New York, NY, 10023
- 1 May 2019 – Clothworkers Centenary Concert Hall, School of Music, Leeds University, UK
- 2 May 2019 – Star and Shadow Cinema, Newcastle-Upon-Tyne, UK
- 17 May 2019 – Athens School of Fine Art, Athens, Greece
- 24 May 2019 – Danish Film Institute, Copenhagen, Denmark