Restoring Dreadnought

To mark the start of restoration of the Dreadnought the Archive Display Cases in the basement of Stockwell Street Library contain two sets of archival records:

The first shows architects’ plans from April and September 1993 to create an Administration and Conference Centre; the April scheme suggests a hall in the NW corner of the Dreadnought (damaged by bombing in WWII), the September scheme a hall in an extension to the Stephen Lawrence Building.

Neither scheme was adopted as the ORNC became available and it was decided to make the Dreadnought into the University Library instead. The second case contains photographs of the restoration work which didn’t begin until August 19th 1997.

Below are more images from the same collection, along with descriptions and images by Dannatt, Johnson Architects showing the final plans and end results.





Plays at Avery Hill College

Here are some of the photos of the plays the archive has found from the 1940’s to the 60’s.

The Devil to Pay, performed 24th November 1946
Iphigenia in Tauris, performed 30th November and 1st December 1956
The Coventry Nativity, performed 12th and 13th December 1952
The School of Scandal, performed 25th and 26th November 1955
The Critic or A Tragedy Rehearsed, performed 25th and 26th November 1960
The Well of the Saints, performed 30th November and 1st December 1951
Noah, performed 29th and 30th November 1957
The Women Have Their Way, performed 27th and 28th November 1959

More photographs can be seen on display near the Green Room at Avery Hill Campus Library.