When submitting files for plagiarism check, it’s important to check the file type being submitted.
See below for all the file types that can be submitted to generate similarity report.
- Microsoft Word® (.doc / .docx) [Please note that if you are using an unsupported word processor, you may need to save your plain file as .txt or .rtf in order to upload to Turnitin.]
- OpenOffice Text (.odt)
- Google Docs via Google Drive™ [Please note that if submitting with Google Drive™, third party cookies must be allowed in your browser, otherwise, any attempts to sign into Google to upload from Google Drive will fail. Note that Google Drive functionality is not supported with IE8 or below. Do not upload Google Doc (.gdoc) files directly to Turnitin; a .gdoc file does not store the document, but contains a reference to it online, in Google Docs.]
- WordPerfect® (.wpd)
- PostScript (.ps/.eps)
- Adobe® PDF [Please note that Turnitin will not accept PDF image files, forms, or portfolios, files that do not contain highlight-able text (e.g. a scanned file – usually an image), documents containing multiple files or files created with software other than Adobe Acrobat®.]
- Microsoft PowerPoint® (.pptx, .ppt, .ppsx, and .pps) [Please note that it is possible to submit PowerPoint® files through Turnitin.com, TurnitinUK.com, Turnitin Basic integrations, newer versions of the Turnitin Direct integrations, and LTI compliant integrations only. Turnitin converts the PowerPoint® slide deck into a static PDF, leaving all text and images in their original format but leaving out features such as presenter notes, embedded video, and animations. Text with visual effects is not supported, and it is recommended that any visual effects such as shadows and 3D be removed prior to submitting to Turnitin.]
- Microsoft Excel® (.xls and .xlsx)
- Rich text format (.rtf)
- Plain text (.txt)
- Hangul Word Processor file (.hwp)
Make sure that the file size is under 40MB and contains at least 20 words but no more than 800 pages in length.
Please note that Turnitin WILL NOT accept the following to generate Originality Reports:
Password protected files
Microsoft® Works (.wps) files
Microsoft Word 2007 macros-enabled .docm files
OpenOffice Text (.odt) files created and downloaded from Google Docs online
Document (.doc) files created using OpenOffice, as they are not 100% Microsoft Word equivalent
Spreadsheets created outside of Microsoft Excel (i.e. .ods)
Text with visual effects