The Greenwich Maritime Institute invites you to dive into a dark whirlpool of wrongdoing, past and present. Piracy, committed for private gain, is a form of maritime crime often in the headlines, but it is far from the only one. Led by Professor of Maritime Security Chris Bellamy, Dr Cathryn Pearce, author on wrecking, and Dr Helen Doe from Exeter University, an authority on smuggling, you will navigate through the depths of mankind’s misdeeds on the high seas, rivers and ashore.
The course will explore four main types of sea crime: piracy; wrecking; smuggling; and the wide variety of crimes committed aboard cruise ships, merchant ships and luxury yachts. Among the issues covered will be:
- What is maritime crime?
- Piracy then and now
- Wrecking then and now
- Smuggling then and now
- Maritime murder
The course will take place on Wednesday 12th June 2012 from 9.30am – 4.30pm. The cost is £90 per person which includes lunch, refreshments, course materials and a certificate of attendance. A booking form can be found on the Greenwich Maritime Institute website: http://www2.gre.ac.uk/about/schools/gmi/study/short/programmes
We are delighted to announce that we are running an exciting short course programme again this year which covers a variety of historical and contemporary subjects.
• Maritime Crime: There’s Wreckers About – Saturday 9th June – £60
• Silencing the Silent Service?: Naval Propaganda and Censorship during the Second World War – Thursday 14th June – £60
• ‘Enemies of All Humanity’: Sea Piracy A Modern Perspective – Saturday 16th June – £60
• Caricature and the Navy during the Eighteenth Century – Thursday 28th June – £60
• Baroque Navies at War: Britain, the Netherlands and France 1688-1713 – Friday 29th and Saturday 30th June – £120
• China’s Rise as a Powerful Maritime Nation: Factors and Influences – Friday 20th July – £60
Everyone is welcome to register for these courses so please do feel free to register yourself or pass on to anyone else you think may be interested. You can find more information about each course and a registration form on our website: http://bit.ly/wATcht