Request to film on campus, studio, or room

If you want to film on any of the University Of Greenwich or Old Royal Naval College (ORNC) grounds, you may need to obtain permission from one or more departments. It is best to factor in a 2-week response time into your workflow so it is more likely your location permission will be granted in time for your shoot—and if not, you have time to secure another location. 

The following guides will help you establish what to do and who to contact for each location:

Prior to contacting any of these locations, check our list of 4 things to remember before making a booking request.

Looking for the opening hours of each University building? Visit this page for updated information.

Booking a room in Greenwich, Avery Hill, and Medway

📍 Where: Book a specific ‘teaching’ room in Greenwich, Avery Hill or Medway (i.e. lecture theatres, design studios, medical training rooms, computer labs, etc).

💡 How: Contact the Design School at including all the information in this room booking checklist.

Remember that room availability is scarce, especially on weekdays, and to only contact the School once you have recced* the room. Your recce will determine if a room fits your requirements. The admin team at the Design School have not seen every room and may not be able to advise on size and capabilities. Your student card gives you access to all campus but not all rooms. Therefore, check if you need someone to give you access to a specific room by speaking to security in that building or location (even better if you ask them in advance).

*A recce is a pre-filming visit to a location to determine if this is suitable.

List of University Locations

🏢 Greenwich Stockwell Street: 10 Stockwell Street – Greenwich, London SE10 9BD (See Map)
🏛️ Old Royal Naval College: University of Greenwich, Park Row, London SE10 9LS (See Map)
🏫 Avery Hill – Mansion Site: Bexley Road, Eltham, London SE9 2PQ (See Map)
🌳 Avery Hill – Southwood Site: Avery Hill Road, Eltham, London SE9 2UG (See Map)
🎭 Bathway Theatre: The Old Baths, Woolwich, London SE18 6QX (Getting to Bathway)
Medway Campus: Central Ave, Gillingham, Chatham ME4 4TB (See Map)

Booking a Studio

📍 Where: All studios are located in 10 Stockwell Street (Greenwich) except for Sound Studios 1 and 2 which are located in King William’s Building KW208 and KW206 (Greenwich).

💡 How: Head here find the studios opening hours and how to book one

Bookings are assessed by FTV Support staff. If you are not requesting a TV Studio, you can make your booking via Siso.

Book a location in the Old Royal Naval College (Greenwich Foundation)

📍 Where: Old Royal Naval College (ORNC), Park Row, London SE10 9LS

💡 How: Contact

The Greenwich Foundation is a charity that conserves the Old Royal Naval College. They are the landlords for all ORNC ground, except for Dreadnought and the fenced area surrounding Dreadnought.

The ORNC is a UNESCO World Heritage Site with a long and celebrated 500-year history. Its highly listed buildings have delicate interiors that require protection from the ‘modern world’ (i.e. chemicals and liquids).

Book any other University or ORNC location or “general areas”

📍 Where: Anywhere that isn’t a “teaching space” (i.e. corridors, lifts, stairwells, communal public areas and external areas)

💡 How: Ask for filming permission from

Once they have granted you permission to film, they will email you and the relevant security.

Permits for general areas on the ORNC grounds (marked in white on the map below) can be obtained from FTV Support via Siso under ‘Find stock’ and searching for ‘Film Permit’.

Greenwich campus permit map

Filming in the libraries

To film in any of the university libraries, you will need permission from the Head of Library Services of the library you want to film in. See below for the contacts of each library. And don’t forget to mention the information in this checklist when making your request.

David Puplett – Stockwell Street & Avery Hill (
Sian Downes – Medway (

Filming in halls

If you are filming in your own room or a communal area (such as kitchen, corridor, etc) you will need to complete a risk assessment but will not need location permissions.

It is good practice to inform and politely check with others who use the communal space if it is okay to do so. However, if you are filming in a hall’s public space (such as The Dome in Avery Hill) you will require permission from Greenwich Facilities.

< Back to the top

Comments are closed.