The Power of CI Workshops

I chose to study at the University of Greenwich because of its openness, diversity and its excellent quality of education and support for student. Also, the campus is one of the most beautiful sights in London! However, as a foreign student, it was quite daunting and scary jumping into student life. 

Through attending a variety of workshops and support from my teachers, I’ve gained the motivation to successfully overcome obstacles and find my place at the University. 

The cultural insight workshops:

They have taught me how to get out of my comfort zone, make new friends and overall made me feel very welcomed.

It was a great help for my personal growth: building my confidence and meeting new people, I otherwise would not have met.

Looking back to the beginning of the term, when these classes were introduced, I was very excited about them, and others in my group were also interested. However, not many people from my course have attended the workshops. Fast forward to where we are now, I can see what a tremendous help these classes have been to me. Now that I know more people at the campus and have the confidence to approach them, it is much easier for me to motivate them to join those types of workshops.

Cultural Insight workshops were the most interactive and fun out of other workshops I have attended. They offered insightful information and tips on group work, building our self-esteem and student life dynamic in general. Also, each lesson came with a fun activity, which helped in remembering the details of the class itself.

Having gained so many new skills from these workshops, especially the interpersonal skills, I feel more prepared for the job market and working environment. The Cultural Insight workshops have helped me understand more about how to anticipate the needs of others. After reflecting on this experience, I noticed that I became more openminded, a better listener, and have more confidence. These skills make it easier for me to communicate with others.

I have also recognised that it is essential to take care of oneself and be mindful of other people. This brings great satisfaction, is very rewarding and can even create new relationships. Therefore, since, I have exercised my mind more in the angle of thoughtfulness and empathy. Sometimes it is harder than I thought it would be, but at the end of the day, it is absolutely worth it to take a moment and reflect.

If I had to describe the Cultural Insight project in just three words, they would be Inclusive, fun and mind-opening.

These workshops have been very educational and a lot of fun, so I would like to thank the Cultural Insight team for putting all of the materials together for us. I am looking forward to next year’s series of Cultural Insight Workshops.

Magdalena Rokosz, a student from a small town in Poland called Rzeszow who has just completed her 1st year of Human Resource Management. She has lived in many big cities but was charmed by London the most! She is excited about the endless opportunities the city has to offer and cannot wait to join the job market and further study a master’s degree. In her free time, she enjoys reading science fiction, watching documentaries and long walks.