Get Involved!

Studying in a country that is not the one where you come from can be both exciting and nervous: the only action of thinking about living in London can build up a lot of expectations in our mind that sometimes are satisfied but, they can also lead to other unexpected roads. In any case, it is good to always have faith on what life brings you up to and be ready with the plan B! (Get ready plan C as well, just to be sure). This is quite normal in a such a big city, as London, where things can constantly change. I would describe what I tended to follow during my first year, as a sort of Mantra: GET INVOLVED! 

Iris says GET INVOLVED has been her Mantra during her first year of study. She adds saying, one of the greatest roads she had taken when trying to GET INVOLVED, was to participate in many workshops, specifically Cultural Insight workshops.

It doesn’t really matter if you are a new or continuing student, I would strongly advice you to take the chance to know more about yourself and about specific topics. 

Especially during the cultural insight workshops, I had the opportunity to make many friends like Kristina, Djeylan, Abed, Magda and Vineeta, just to mention some, share my thoughts with them and get to know their opinions. It has to be underlined that not only first year students attended to the workshops but, all years were welcomed, and this made such a good environment as the plethora of experiences was even more vast!

What I really like of this general atmosphere is that I never ever felt judged by any of the tutors (which were different all the times) or from any of the students; this is something amazing. We build a relationship with individuals we never met before, by embracing each other with our inner versions of the selves. 

Iris

And, if you want to know some more benefits, please continue reading!

The first workshop was called ‘Your Voice-Your Community’. I have to admit it, I felt that I had to go just by reading the title and I did not regret my attendance. Via some tests and different types of games, we discovered our learning techniques and so, what we are good at and what we could do to improve ourselves. The only though that YOU matter, as an individual and/or as a friend is a powerful motivation that can actually change your mindset and the way you react to certain life situations. 

The first workshop was called ‘Your Voice-Your Community’. I have to admit it, I felt that I had to go just by reading the title and I did not regret my attendance. Via some tests and different types of games, we discovered our learning techniques and so, what we are good at and what we could do to improve ourselves. The only thought that YOU matter, as an individual and/or as a friend is a powerful motivation that can actually change your mindset and the way you react to certain life situations

I discovered that I am very good at learning via both interpersonal (interacting with others) and through the intrapersonal (own inner states) intelligences.

However, each person has different skills and yet everyone can improve and develop their learning style in different ways!

Moving forward, I remember the workshop that was on the day of my birthday and, yes, I did not care, I wanted to be there!!! It was named ‘Global Dexterity’

In 2020, when people meet others commonly on digital platforms, it is always a great opportunity to make a friend without any research from their Facebook or Instagram profiles but, just by looking and listening to them. This way we do not make opinions of a person from what they look like on their social media. 

After knowing the names of the participants, we were asked to choose a poem in our native language and read it aloud. At first, I could see some who were pretty confident and some other, like me, very scared to read in front of other people. We all made it and we did not even realize it.

Once again, something amazing happened: the choice of the poem, the intonations we gave to it while reading, the explanation we compose in order for others to understand our choice, everything together told others something about ourselves.  

I hope this can encourage everyone to GET INVOLVED! There are many opportunities ready to be taken, we just need a bit of courage to straight our hand and grab them. 

Iris Pirrigheddu is an Italian student doing the 1st year of Marketing Management. She is a very curious person and finds that the opportunity to explore London is amazing! She is delighted to share many more thoughts so she says feel free to dm her on instagram linked below