Humans of Stockwell Street #10

Paula Pocol

From Romania. Second year in Architecture.

What was the hardest thing to get used to, considering you’re coming from another country?
Obviously, I come from another country so there is another type of people there. And it was very hard for me to get used to the way people are here. It’s just a different way of speaking and a different language, obviously. It’s a different way of behaving and I have to be mindful of so many things that I don’t have to be mindful of when I’m at home. Also jaywalking. Jaywalking was a big thing for me. I didn’t know that was happening. In my country, it’s illegal. I had to get used to it. People just jump at the street.

What’s your favourite thing about being here?
I mean, I like the diversity I guess. Where I come from there’s no diversity. Then again, the environment is very creative and very challenging. It’s very dynamic compared to home.

What advice would you give to future students?
If you want to apply for a creative profession you should be really sure that you want to do it. It’s not like your typical course where you have to do this, this and this and you pass the exam. It’s not really like that. There’s a lot of self-doubt involved during this whole thing so if you’re not sure you want to do this as an end game – don’t do it, and if you are sure – go for it.

A question from a student: What’s the worst thing about university?
Self-doubt. Definitely self-doubt.