The University is committed to delivering sustainable and nutritious food to all students, staff and other customers that visit our outlets across all three of our campuses. The University has outlined its commitments to Sustainable Food and Fairtrade products in it policies to ensure that over the next two years we strive to increase the quality of the food served at the University, and reduce the impact that the products we buy have on the environment. We have been an accredited Fair Trade University since 2011 and in 2015 all our catering outlets were Food for Life Gold certified.
We also seek to use our buying power as a University to support local producers and businesses through working with our partners BaxterStorey, Sodexo and The Student’s Union University of Greenwich who deliver catering at our sites.
We have been awarded Food For Life Gold for the work the University’s caterers BaxterStorey have undertaken to ensure we provide foods that are responsibly and ethically sourced. Sodexo also recently won this award for the foods provided through The Dome at Avery Hill. We are one of only three universities in the UK to achieve Gold for all their outlets and the University is very proud of these achievements and are grateful for the brilliant work of our caterers and hospitality staff.
What does Gold mean for you? – Find out here!
Some of our commitments and actions include:
- To continue to provide and increase sustainable food offerings in catering outlets and hospitality menus
- To ensure that we communicate and engage with students, staff and other customers as well as suppliers on our commitment to serving sustainable food
- Ensure that our caterers baseline and regularly audit their consumption of goods and materials in order to increase and maintain usage of sustainable goods
- To enhance employee awareness of relevant environmental, social and nutritional effects of procurement through appropriate training, via induction and in continuing professional development
- To maintain our Fairtrade University status as well our Soil Association Catering Mark whilst supporting local sustainable food projects such as Good Food in Greenwich
- To maintain our MSC certification in our outlets
- Ensure that sustainability specifications and commitment to our policies are included in all catering contracts/tenders and that sustainability criteria are considered in the awarding of contracts, for example ISO 14001
- Ensure all catering outlets uphold the criteria and standards outlined in the University’s Sustainability Management System
- The Head of Catering and Events is the Chair of the Sustainable Food Steering group and reports annually to the University’s Sustainability Management Board.
- To continue to share food from our Avery Hill Edible Garden with our caterers and local community and to work with the Union to get this fresh food in the student shop. Find out more about our garden here.
Did you know: You can get free tap water at every outlet! Just bring along your bottle and fill up!
The policy commitments are delivered by the Sustainable Food and Fairtrade Steering Group which is attended by representatives from all our catering partners as well as Facilities Management Staff, the Procurement team, student reps, the Student Union and the Sustainable Development Unit. Our approach is called Greenwich’s ‘Recipe for Success’ where all those involved with the strategic application and delivery of our food policy collaborate, share best practice and support each other to accelerate our progress towards a more sustainable food service.
For more information on sustainable food at the University please contact the group through firstname.lastname@example.org